Home » Homeworks

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International license.

Homeworks

Peer edits/ 10 open questions

Kirk’s essay was extremely strong though it was on the shorter side. He sticks to his idea and shows how his way of thinking affects his life so far. While he didn’t go into extreme details his writing allowed me to step in his shoes for a second and understand who he is. However, he needs a stronger closer. The essay left too much to desire. It wraps you in but leaves you out to dry. I think that kirk should add way more details by putting details in on how his way of thinking affects his everyday life. It would give the reader a walkthrough of who he is and why he has this way of thinking.

1. What was your writing process?
  2. Was it difficult for you to write?
  3. If you didn’t choose this topic what’s another you would’ve chosen?
  4. Why did you choose this topic?
  5. If you can rewrite your essay, what would you change?
  6. What is your greatest writing skill?
  7. What event changed you as a person?
  8. Who is your greatest role model?
  9. What do you see as your strengths?
  10. What motivates you?

Interview Transcript

Jahiem

Why did you choose your topic?

Kirk

I always had a distinct way of thinking so I thought it would be a good way to show others my perspective of the world.

Jahiem

Do you think you always see the world differently from people?

Kirk

Yes. Because my views are always indifferent which allows me to see the broader scope of things.

Jahiem

If you could rechoose your essay topic, what would you choose?

Kirk

Probably, my struggles with math in school. That has always bothered me no matter what I did..

Jahiem

What’s the toughest topic you had to deal with?

Kirk

Most definitely fractions.

Jahiem

What is your greatest skill?

Kirk

My greatest skill is that I can focus in school and learn quickly unless it is math.

Jahiem

What event changed you as a person?

Kirk

When I enter High School.

Jahiem

Why is that?

Kirk

Going into high school forced me to mature and become a better person so I could succeed.

Jahiem

Who is your greatest role model?

Kirk

My greatest role model I would say is Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

Jahiem

Why is that?

Kirk

He showed me that you can use any platform to grow into your full potential. He went from a small-time wrestler to a multi-million dollar all around superstar.

Jahiem

What do you see as your strengths?

Kirk

My biggest strength is that I’m determined and that I would be successful one day no matter what.

Jahiem

What motivates you?

Kirk

Getting good grades and being one day closer to success.

Jahiem

What is your dream?

Kirk

My dream is to be successful and be able to take care of my family.

Jahiem

What is your major? Why did you choose this major?

Kirk

I didn’t declare a major yet. However, I do want to major in film. Mostly because I find film interesting. I want to be able to make an all-time classic film one day.

Jahiem

What do you want your imprint to be when you leave the world?

Kirk

I want my imprint to be people knowing that I’m a nice person. All in all, I want people to think about me and say “Kirk was a cool guy”.

Box 23

My name is Jahiem Carridce I’m the second oldest out of all my mother’s kids. However, that’s not true. I’m the third oldest on my mom’s side. I had an older sister that passed away before I was born. Her name was Chanette and her death killed my mom emotionally. Well, I didn’t know this until two years ago.

To be clear I knew I had an older sister since I was around 5-6 years old. However, I didn’t know how much it affected her and her life afterward. Growing up I never noticed it but my mom was always a little overbearing towards me and my younger siblings. More than you expect she shows as perfect with no imperfections. When I was in elementary school I used to have problems controlling my anger. Because of this problem I used to get into fights a lot as a kid. Leading to a ton of suspensions and my mom no matter what would always come and pick me up even though she had work. This might not sound like anything special but my mom at the time was a lead security guard at a hospital. Her leaving her job was risky since she was the second in command. She did this nearly every week until I moved away with my father. It wasn’t until last year I asked my mom why she was so protective of me even more than my other siblings. She then told me how when she lost my sister she went to a dark place. It was surprising cause never in my life have I seen my mom cry. And that when she told me how she was depressed and that she started using drugs and partying all the time. That was until she had me lifted from her depression. Because of this, she protected me even if her protection was harmful to my progression as a person. However, her protection showed me my mom’s vulnerable side and allowed me to grow closer to her.

Rhetorical Analysis Thesis

The theme of “Sabbath” can be easily missed if it’s read at face value however if a deeper dive is taken you’ll find the true meaning. In a day and age where people struggled to find themselves, Oliver Sacks uses rhetorical methods to create an outline to find self-love and a path to achieve inner peace.

Rhetorical Analysis Introduction

The essay, “Sabbath”, is Oliver Sacks’ last essay that caps off an extraordinary life as a writer. The essay itself follows life through his childhood to his late adulthood. Oliver Sacks was a doctor and book writer that spent most of his life helping the world with sacrifice research and
book writing to become one of the greatest writers in the modern age. The theme of “Sabbath” can be easily missed if it’s read at face value however if a deeper dive is taken you’ll find the true meaning. In a day and age where people struggled to find themselves, Oliver Sacks uses rhetorical methods to create an outline to find self-love and a path to achieve inner peace.

Culture/Site Selection Response

Dominican music.

Because I’m from the Bronx and it is extremely popular there.

I will gather information using the internet and articles.

Because it’s a growing genre especially in the south Bronx.

I will examine the older generation and the new generation.

I will interview my friends as all of them are Dominican immigrants

My purpose is to convince the reader how Dominican music influences the south Bronx community. 

Why people should know about it?

Research Essay Thesis

The rise of Latino music in mainstream music helped raise Spanish pride and representation in today’s society.

Research Essay Introduction

Growing up in the south Bronx for the last few years has been a great experience seeing all different types of culture, and nationality blend together to make one great community of people that share who they are with each other. One of the more prominent cultures spread throughout the Bronx, especially the southern part, is Hispanic culture. Focusing mostly focusing on Dominicans and Dominican subculture which is Latin Trap. Latin Trap has roots in Puerto Rico and New York, mostly the Bronx. The rise of Latino music in mainstream music helped raise Spanish pride and representation in today’s society, and it’s important to continue to
highlight the rise of Spanish music genres like Latin trap to increase Hispanic representation in mainstream media.

Research Essay Questionnaire

Jahiem Carridice

1. My background research will consist of information on the rise of the Hispanic population and
    Hispanic music in mainstream music. I would learn by looking at data from recent years and the
    late 1970s to see the rise.
  2. I would be focusing solely on the Spanish population in the south Bronx, mostly the Dominicans
    and Puerto Ricans. I would also focus on Spanish musicians, most likely bad bunny the face of
    Spanish trap.
  3. I would be interviewing my friends Luis and Izzy. They are both Dominicans who have a ton of
    pride. The difference between them is that Luis is an immigrant and a male while Izzy was born
    here and a female.
  4. I would use interviews and articles on the music and artists with other data.
  5. I wanna uncover why Spanish trap music is having an impact on today’s Spanish youth. This is
    important because the Spanish community is extremely unappreciated in today’s society.
  6. My time Frame is going to be in a few days tops.
  7. Rick’s voice sounded like he experienced the trucker lifestyle and that he understood them and
    that he cared for his topic. Ivana Nikolic had a strong voice in his essay as he showed how he was
    personally involved with his topic. I will try to make my voice sound like an on-looker that has
    been studying close for years.
  8. The most trouble I think I would find while writing my essay is finding the time. There a lot
    going on in my life right now, also translating articles from Spanish to English if there are
    interviews in Spanish that are relevant